Saturday, March 23, 2019

Something Found, Something Lost

For some the idea of a hardcore being a conduit for radical thought might sound obvious and pointing the finger to bands for doing so may seem asinine, but in the modern era of hardcore to me at least, it is still refreshing to hear. Regional Justice Center is clear in their message and how adamant they are about their mission is nothing less than inspiring. Putting emphasis on concepts beyond what we maybe be thinking about everyday out in front of people in lyrics and imagery is something hardcore bands have been doing since the beginning and those bands like Regional Justice Center who have used emotion to show struggle instead of just spelling it out for people are the ones that have the most lasting impact. The 12" test press below was something I didn't think I would ever be able to snag off the popularity of the band alone, but I couldn't be more excited to add it to my collection. Regional Justice Center seems to clearly have grown beyond a project with this 12" and Ian Shelton who fronts, plays (on the recordings at least) and writes a majority of the music also plays in Self Defense Family, the band the other records in this post became.

The 7" test press in the photo below is a split between End Of A Year from Cohoes, New York (any fan of this blog should be very much aware of them or my love for them) and the band Kids Explode who hailed from Freiburg, Germany. Though this is a split and I can't say any band End Of A Year (of Self Defense Family) has done a split with is bad, they are not one of the best, or at least the songs on this side aren't their strongest. It could be the End Of A Year track on their side, entitled Audrey Kishline. It is one of my favorite End Of A Year songs being one of the handful named after a real person with lyrics in a way touching on that individual or their beliefs but exploring it through Patrick Kindlon's personal lens. With this record being as limited as it is, I never thought I would be able to get one but here it is. 


Regional Justice Center - World of Inconvenience (Test Press) (Out of 30) (Adagio830 Records, Forever Never Ends Records, Straight & Alert Records, To Live A Lie Records)
End Of A Year / Kids Explode (Test Press) (Out of 3) (Narshardaa Records)

Even more than the last two, this record has been my white whale. Not for rarities sake as over a hundred of this particular version exist but because I have had such bad luck trying to get a copy. As far as Discogs goes only one has sold per year for the last six years, always before I had a chance to snag it, but that isn't the worst of it. Back in August of 2008 I emailed someone who had the only copy listed in their HowsYourEdge trade list. They messaged me back and a deal was struck, one Frostbite shirt size XL for the tour version of End Of A Years first solo 7", We Understand Europeans Are A Sexual People. I sent out my part immediately and in October of 2008 a package arrived from Germany with a version of the 7", but not the correct version. I remember being super disappointed and after checking the email I was actually nice and didn't really fight the guy on it. I think over time I got more and more bitter about it (can you blame me thought it did end up taking eleven years for me to get a copy). But here it is, in all its glory.



End Of A Year ‎– We Understand Europeans Are A Sexual People (Tour Version) (Rainbow) (Out of 110) (Blacktop Records)

No comments: