Wednesday, January 9, 2019

2018 First Ears Playlist



Before I release my muchanticipated (joking) Best of 2018 List, tonight I share with you a playlist I made (on Spotify) of the best music I heard for the first time in 2018, only including songs from 2017 or before. I called this playlist “2018 First Ears.” The playlist features several styles of music and the songs are in order from the first I heard during the year to the last. I wrote some notes during and after I first heard these songs and I worked some of that into the text I’ve included with the song info.

I used to have a blog just for mixes I made called Things I Can't Say, I might start updating it more but no promises there. I’ve included a link to the playlist on Spotify and clicking on the song name will take you to a video of the song on Youtube. Enjoy.

1.     Johnny Moped – No One from No One / Incendiary Device via Chiswick Records (1977)

I found this song when poking around on the Gordon Solie Motherfuckers Discogs page. They had done a cover of it on their 10” Power Bomb Anthems Vol. 1. It didn’t sound familiar and I thought to myself “Anyone GSMF would cover must be amazing.” And god damnit, I was right. The song blew me away, reminded me of early American Hardcore but they were from England, before Hardcore was even a thing. I was floored. I’ve listened to the song at least once a week since first hearing it and shared it with quite a few people to see their reaction when I told them where and hold old the song was. I’m glad I started here with this song because it should hopefully put urgency in you going and checking out this playlist.

2.     Oneohtrix Point Never ‎– The Pure And The Damnedfeaturing Iggy Pop from Good Time (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) via Warp Records (2017)

I eat shit like this up. Your older “how are they still alive” singers, working with young(er) almost pioneering producers and musicians. Think Rick Rubin’s work with Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond and that Roy Orbison track off the Less Than Zero Soundtrack (a song Roy Orbison co-wrote with Danzig) and some of my favorite Elvis Costello / Brian Eno tracks. Yeah, these mother fuckers are all old, but so am I now so I have to pretend they are young still plus I’m pretty sure Iggy Pop is over 200 years old now (and still killing it). I feel lucky to have found this song as I have not seen the movie, but just from hearing it I know I need to track it down.

3.     The Roots ‎– It Ain’t Fair from Music From The Film Detroit via Motown Records (2017)

Another song from another soundtrack to another movie I have not seen. But at least with this one it is streaming on Hulu, so I can check it out easily. Are soundtracks where artists put their best work nowadays? I guess I should say again since I feel like that is the way it used to be. I don’t have enough soundtracks on vinyl but I have a large amount on cassette. Maybe that’s me being a big movie guy or maybe that just shows the strength of soundtracks that I had never really picked up on before.

4.     Nina Samone – Why? (The King Of Love Is Dead) from Forever Young, Gifted, & Black: Songs of Freedom and Spirit via RCA (2006)

This was originally recorded in 1968 just three days after the Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. for her album Nuff Said. This song is incredibly powerful I can’t believe I had not heard it before 2018. I’m sure I’ll do another post about this song specifically in the coming weeks.

5.     Faraquet ‎– Conceptual Separation Of Self from The View From This Tower via Dischord Records (2000)

I wish I could travel back and time and kick myself in the face for not listening to this band sooner.

6.     The County Liners ‎– Maria from Mary Jane Dunphe & Chris McDonnell In The County Liners via Wharf Cat Records (2017)

This popped up on my Sam Craighead radio after his albums had ended. A fantastic cover of a Lucinda Williams song from her 1980 sophomore full length Happy Woman Blues. The County Liners are from Olympia Washington (which surprised me) and their members have been playing in several other bands of various styles over the years, but this release felt very genuine and all 6 tracks on the EP are worth your time. This song just happens to be my favorite, but anyone who knows me knows I love covers.

7.     Red Handed – Wounds Remain from Wounds Remain via Rivalry Records (2007)

In 2007 Rivalry Records released Allegiance – Desperation, Go It Alone – Histories, Soul Control – Involution and the last EP by The First Step – Connection. All records I loved at the time and still go back to several times a year, with that Go It Alone record being one of my favorite melodic hardcore albums ever.  How this Red Handed record snuck by me for so long I have no idea. This was the same era I was digging bands like Lewd Acts, Hour Of The Wolf and Grace Alley so when I heard this album it made me feel the same way I felt when I first heard those bands. I need to track down a copy of this LP to add to my collection ASAP.

8.     Planning For Burial ‎– Somewhere In The Evening from Below The House via Flenser Records (2017)

Planning For Burial is a band I had heard of but never checked out until last year, what a mistake that was. I was very surprised to see they are from Wilkes Barre, Pa where 15 years ago I had attended the Posi Numbers Fest and currently one of my favorite new hardcore bands called One Step Closer (who would have for sure played Posi Numbers) hails from.
 
9.     Queen Sarah Saturday - Robert Deniro from June German via Sound Proof Recordings (1995)

Just off the band’s name alone I would never check them out, but I’m glad they popped up on my Spotify one day. For some reason their vocalist reminds me of Mac McCaughan from Superchunk, maybe it’s their North Carolina (“c'mon and raise up”) accent.

10.  Kent - Things She Said from Isola via RCA (1998)

Sweden isn’t just the home of bands like Anti-Cimex, Mob 47, Skitsystem, Refused and Millencolin they also have bands like Fireside, The Cardigans and Kent who show Swedes can rock! I know that sounds lame as fuck but really when I think of Sweden other than some pop punk and the weirdos in Refused/TINC, I really only think about faster and dirtier (at least looking) punk bands. As far as in The States go I feel like Sweden doesn’t get the credit it deserves for pushing that style. But that’s (maybe) for another post. Check out the English version of this album you will not be mad you did so.

11.  Meilyr Jones ‎– Featured Artist from 2013 via Moshi Moshi Records (2016)

Another song that came from Sam Craighead radio on Spotify that jumped out at me. I really love how the singer changes tones during the song to go along with the music. Not much I can say other than I like this track a lot.

12.  Strawberry Runners ‎– Brother from In The Garden In The Night via Salinas Records. (2017)

I only checked out this album because of its cover and I’m glad I did so. I listen to a lot of hardcore, but I need stuff to balance that out from time to time.

13.  Bing Crosby – Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? From The Essential Bing Crosby: The Columbia Years (2003)

I heard this song when listening to NPR just before the New Year began. It hit me hard and the version I head was sung by the writer E.Y. “Yip” Harburg sadly wasn’t on Spotify (and I can't find it online anywhere either). This song like a few others I feel will carry with me for a while, like I’m sure it did with a lot of people. The last song I felt this way about was Clay Pigeons by Blaze Foley.


2018 First Ears

No comments: