Thursday, October 17, 2013

I saw Fucked Up last night (In Review)


I would like to start by describing the venue itself. After asking around it was verified by several people that BBB (Backstage Bars and Billiards) is owned (or partly) by DJ Lethal. My curiosity was spiked by all the House Of Pain plaques and gold records along the walls. Now this place was dark, small (not too small) and open. Just as more venues should be. The stage was about a foot and a half off the floor and it had a decent amount of room in front of the stage before the obligatory support poles start breaking up the room. And as far as sound goes the place had some of the best I've heard at any show space.



The opening band God's America (of A389 Records fame) played as a two piece as their drummer couldn't make it. That being said as heavy and aggressive as the band normally is none of this was lost with the band only being a drum and bass act. They played a short but sweet set. I've seen them three times since I moved out here to Vegas (Oh yeah I moved across the country) and this was my favorite time seeing them.

The next act up was Tony Molina (who I couldn't remember the name of for the life of and kept calling Bob Dobalina). From the first song I knew what I was in for. Super short songs in the vein of Weezer. Think of them as a grind band thats only musical reference point was Weezer. I feel like no song was over a minute and a half. Some felt like they couldn't have been over forty five seconds. It was great. One drawback was the singer was chewing gum the whole time (or has a tick that makes him look so) not my thing. I've always had a problem with this even with my "too cool for school" rock acts. All and all I loved them though and would go see again for sure.



Now for Fucked Up (or "FU" as the marquee read). They started out blasting through several songs before any of his famous stories began. His stage presence is a little different than I remember also he had shrunk down about a hundred pounds. But since I only see this band every five years I shouldn't be surprised over changes like these. He seemed happier, more giggly. Often posing as if he was a child Christmas morning or pulling his basketball shorts well over his belly button and dancing around. Later into the set he admitted he was intoxicated and to "medical marijuana" for his weight loss transformation. A few times during the set he left the stage. To dance, to hug, to interact with the crowd. They ate this up it seemed like the crowd couldn't take their eyes off the man. He mesmerized, he enchanted and I would honestly say embodied what I love about the band. They are who they are. They play hardcore music to crowds sometimes only a quarter full of anyone still with in a "scene", to anyone who knows who No Warning is or has ever read a zine in their life. And it doesn't feel fake or forced just raw. On my favorite parts was him telling a story about the first time Fucked Up played Las Vegas. It was at Punk Rock Bowling and after their set he was invited to party with Fat Mike (Of NOFX) where he got to watch him receive a rim job. Another was when they played a "new one" entitled "Year of the Dragon" hopefully you are familiar with their other zodiac epics ("Year of the Pig", "Dog" "Rat" ect.). I would have to say this is my favorite Fucked Up song yet. It seemed to go on forever but I wasn't bored for a second. Not many bands sets should be as long and could keep my attention like this track did, its a "banger".

No comments: